Thursday, May 19, 2016

True Friend

   Hello, everyone! Time to keep my promise from yesterday. Today's early because I have a feeling that I'll be busy in the evening.

   Now, before Carmen made her choice, she used to answer my bad spell emails with the same sort of answer, even when we didn't completely know about the depression or the rest yet. She'd encourage me, talking about how she or anyone else never leave and that she'd never let a true friend like me get away from her. Pardon me from still being a bit bitter from that promise being broken.
   Still, it's made me wonder what a true friend is. These are the qualities I'd always thought of (not in any particular order):
   1) Loyalty
   2) Love (I'm thinking platonic)
   3) Laughter
   4) Good communication
   5) Understanding
   And other things like those.

   But it was me called a true friend, though I don't think it was just Carmen to call me such. Still, I got to thinking. If I portray a true friend to others, then what do I do to make others feel that I am? Now, hopefully my friends read this and can tell me if this new list is correct or if I'm missing anything. Because this is mostly honest guessing!
   If I'm a true friend, it's an awful lot like being a mom. This is what I do:
   1) Each time they achieve something, I puff up like a big mama bird with pride.
   2) Their pain is my own and I do my best to help in what way I know best.
   3) Sometimes I have to stand back and watch them grow up.
   4) I remember small things about them rather than the big things that everyone else does.
   5) Watching them leave is going to be the hardest thing I'll ever do.

   Now that's just a shortened list for now, but has some of the more important aspects of what I do to be a friend. What is a true friend to you? What do you do to be a true friend yourself?

-Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or a question!