Friday, April 29, 2016

Characters, Characters

   First things first, if you're new, Welcome! I'd recommend reading the Introducing Me entry before or right after reading this. If you're a returning reader, Welcome Back!

   Today, I'm going to share a happy thought. Yesterday seemed kind of down, so I think that should be balanced out. Also, anything I mention now, I do not own the franchises for, so this<<< is a disclaimer.
   I love to read. It's one of my absolute favorite things to do, other than writing my own stories. But one of my favorite authors is the ever popular Rick Riordan. The first book I read of his was 'The Lost Hero'. I hadn't yet read the Percy Jackson series yet, but luckily there were little spoilers, so I was able to catch up properly in the summer before 'The Son of Neptune' came out. In 'The Lost Hero' there is a character who is the main topic of my thought process today: Leo Valdez.
(Please do not read further in case I start giving spoilers and you don't want them.)

   Leo is my favorite character from this series. He's got an awesome sense of humor. He's a total, um, "ladies man". Not really, but he thinks he is. He's great with tools and loves to be in the workshop.
   Like all great characters, Leo has some flaws, too. He's sometimes uncomfortable being the third wheel to Jason and Piper (both great characters as well). He's got a hard past that makes him unsure about some things. He's got a temper that sometimes gets the better of him. Compared to several of the other characters, he seems to be either flawed the most or flawed the least, depending on which angle you take.
   So, why do I like him so much? This quirky kid with the tool belt? Well, he's himself, for one thing. He also hides behind his humor, saying a couple of time in his POVs (point of view) that it helps keep the pain away for a while. Now do you see why?
   I've seen a quote in many different contexts, even in some fandom contexts (looking at you 'Merlin'). It says: "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do." -Anonymous
   And I think that's a really good thing to keep in mind. I do it every day. For me, enacting that quote, even before I heard it, gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. So maybe I don't always crack out the jokes like Leo Valdez to lighten the mood. Instead I try to impart wisdom if and when I can. Little things like that to make other people smile.
    That's all for now. Till next time!

-Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or a question!